Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Crossed My Old Man Back In Oregon - Don't Take Me Alive


Royal Scam: Wow, an uneven experience. This is the first time in my life I have seen so many shows one after the other and so I am hearing those nuances of difference as they do the same songs, night after night.

Might as well start with what I didn't like.

Having Kid C start the show. These two people placed themselves in the handicapped area right in front of my section and danced their hearts out, totally blocking our view. Here we are wanting to see Larry at work and we saw squat. Thank goodness for the guy in the first row who went over to them (twice) and finally got them out of there.

Having Don't Take Me Alive as the third song. Again, this album is plum in my book, but I found that I really like those songs in the "Kick it into overdrive" section of the concert. I really missed that. As someone mentioned before in the NY review, Larry is a bit low in the mix and that hurt these two songs. Especially with everything else that was distracting me, people still being seated, the drama in front of me and even the band getting used to having Larry there.

Things I loved!

Sign In Stranger. Who knew I would be so enthralled with this song. I have it on Alive in America, but it truly was a special moment for me. Great work by everyone.
Haitian Divorce with The Donald on lyrics. Again, have heard this many times with Walter, but The Donald is just so special. :-)

Third World Man: Saw it the other day, but this one kicked major butt! Thanks Larry.

Walter did one heck of a good Hey 19 talk. After none the past 2 times, it was a good change. If I am not mistaken, he got a standing O for Daddy Don't Live. If it wasn't a true standing O it might have been that he got VERY appreciative applause from the crowd and that might be the first time seeing that.

The Gibson rocked again. The crowd are fabulous and make the experience worth it. One lady behind me kept yelling "I Love You Keith". I so agree. :-)

I do want to say that getting the entire album played has been a huge success, at least for this fan. Each night was different and special in its own way. Let's see what Taking It To The Seats does for me, Tuesday night.

My absolute final comment on the evening.
Jon Herington, you are a GOD! (There, I said it)


Set List

Intro: Teenie's Blues

Royal Scam (Album)
Hey Nineteen
Daddy Don't Live... (WB vocals)
Aja
Black Friday
Home At Last
Parker's Band (Ladies on vocals)
Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart/Band Intros
Third World Man
Peg
Josie
My Old School

Encore: Reelin' In The Years (Original Version)
Outro: Last Tango

No comments:

Post a Comment